Huntington's Disease

Huntington`s

06/10/2009

Question:

My mother is 67 years old, her family has a history of this Monster, at her age is it safe to say that she is clear this disease ?( keep in mind that she has never had any signs or symptons of this sickness )and If she is clean, does this break the chain for me and my siblings ?

Answer:

Sorry about the delay in answering your question. It is hard to say for sure whether or not your mother will develop Huntington's disease symptoms over time.

Although most people who carry the abnormal Huntington's gene show symptoms by their 40s or 50s, there are occasional individuals who do not start showing symptoms until their 60s. It is even more rare to develop symptoms in the 70s. However it can happen.

There is usually some correlation of age of onset of the disease with the age that the parent started showing symptoms. So if your grandparent was showing symptoms in his or her 40s or 50s, it makes it less likely that your mother will develop symptoms in her 60s or 70s. If your mother does not have HD, you will not get HD.

Go to the Huntington's Disease health topic, where you can:

Sandra  K Kostyk, MD, PhD Sandra K Kostyk, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Neuroscience
Clinical Assistant Professor of Neurology