Gum Diseases

Bleeding Gums After Implant Placement

10/12/2009

Question:

Five weeks ago, I had bone graft done in the upper front of the mouth and implants placed in upper right and left to replace missing teeth. Starting last we  ek, my gums on the abutment teeth have been inflamed and bleeding. I went to see my Oral Surgeon a few days ago, and he said that he doesn`t like the fact that my gumline is too inflamed. He removed my temporary bridge, and my gums on the abutment teeth bled a lot. When I removed the bridge at night, I noticed that the gums are really red (it almost looked like the graft is exposed) around the abutment tooth and the implant next to it. My mouth has been really dry lately which I think is causing my gums to be inflamed. What can I do to make my gums heal faster?

Answer:

I do not know what type of temporary you have, but it sound like that they left some teeth just for now to use them temporarily as abutment.

Are you brushing around these teeth? You should use very soft brush and clean around them.

Also, did the surgeon prescribe any antimicrobial mouth rinse? Generally, chlorhexidine is prescribed to help with oral hygiene.
Saline solution may help to control swelling but only if your gumline is free of plaque and calculus.

Also, temporary restorations do not feel very well for a longtime. They need to be adjusted regularly.

Make sure that you are brushing three times a day, using your mouth rinse and taking in a lot of fluid. Thanks for visiting NetWellness.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology