Kidney Diseases

What further tests are needed?

06/03/2009

Question:

I am a 56 year old female diagnosed with renal insufficiency most likely caused by the drug Hyzaar. BUN is 35, Creatinine is 2.2 and GFR is 25. I have been stable since stopping the blood pressure medicine in September. Is there anything that I can do to slow the progression or stop it through procedures, diet, amino acids etc? No bioposy has been done and is not recommended.

Answer:

A full response would require an idea of what might be the cause of the kidney failure and if you have proteinuria. Generally speaking the goals of therapy are good BP control (individualized to the patient) and if you have diabetes mellitus to have good glucose control. Avoid toxins such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, also known as NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.). Make sure meds are adjusted for your level of kidney function and that other doctors that might see you know of your kidney problem. No specific dietary recommendations unless specified by your doctor.

Go to the Kidney Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas   Zipp, MD Thomas Zipp, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine