Athletic Training

Knee Cysts

06/02/2009

Question:

I have several small lumps in my left knee; they can be shifted around, and there are probably around 7 or 8 of them. They don`t hurt unless bumped, but just recently I noticed that my left knee cap seems to catch as I straighten my leg out, creating a sort of popping feeling. Are these cysts, and should I be concerned?

Answer:

Thank you for the question to our NetWellness site. You don't mention your age or if you have had previous injuries and irritations from this knee.  Typically, the locking or catching sensation you describe when locking out the knee could have a number of causes from loose bodies in the knee to cartilage injury. It is worth a trip to your local sports medicine physician for evaluation as to the source of these symptoms and to determine if there should be any treatment for the symptoms you are experiencing.

Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences