Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Tapping on Your Crown - Root Canal

06/02/2009

Question:

I had a root canal may 14, 2 weeks later had post put in, A week after that I had a crown place. But since then my tooth/crown has been more sensitive than all my teeth in my mouth.

I just wanted to know if the sensitivity when tapping is due to a nerve being in the tooth, or the bite(tooth being too high), or is the tooth still just adjusting after Trauma/microsurgery? Is the sensivity/pain curable???

These are the problems I am having

-Super sensitive -Tapping with fingernail hurts. Brushing teeth hurts. Sometimes biting down and teeth touching hurt. Tooth is Supersensitive. its as if I have a nerve in it. -The tooth is still too high, it needs to be shaved off on side or shave down on crown rather shaving down the real tooth. That`s what my dentist did. Shave down my real tooth. Does That it affect my real tooth being that was shaved down?? my real tooth has fillinngs in it.

-My tooth feels really high and gums feels swollen in the morning with pain and can`t bite down. Out of all the teeth on right side; the crown tooth is the only one that touches. my other teeth dont touch because its so high. So I know that my crown needs to be adjusted.

-Once I chew on the side with the crown then everything is fine but pain again in morning. i chew thinking i would get use to it but i cant. the pain always comes back.

-cant bite down on trix cereals or doritos/chips. It only can be soft foods that i can bite down on.

-when I chew, i feel pressure, pain, and like suction

crown tooth is on the bottom right side.(2nd premolar/ 2nd bicuspid)

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness.  It is most probable that your bite needs further adjustment.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry