Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Spine and Back Health

Chronic Back/Rib Pain



A few years ago, I experienced a very sharp feeling in the upper/right side of my back, along the spine. Ever since then I have experienced severe and constant back pain. I have been to a chiropractor and 2 physical therapists over the years, and have come away with only an answer of "mild scoliosis, but it shouldnt cause this amount of pain". In the last year, this has progressed to severe/chronic rib pain. It is both a dull pain, and very sharp/intense when I move. I`m 19 years old, and I really would like at least a few ideas of what this could be. Thank you. I`m being treated with many painkillers as well as flexaril, none of which help.


Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your condition, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results.

You don’t mention what sort of diagnostic tests you’ve had done, but at this point you probably should be evaluated by a medical doctor, rather than a chiropractor or physical therapist. I can’t possibly begin to tell you what might be wrong with you without getting a detailed history and doing a physical examination. If your doctor can’t offer any help, you should request referral to a back specialist. Good luck.

For more information:

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University