Dental and Oral Health (Children)

No roots on some teeth

06/03/2009

Question:

hi my daughter who is sixteen and six months.has had braces on for a year and half,she has another six months to go maybe,her teeth required a lot of straightening. on last visit to orthadontist xrays showed some of her teeth have stopped growing roots.the orthadontist can give no reason for this,he is saying the braces have to come off this month,can you please maybe have an idea why this is happening,also will the roots grow back after the braces come off.looking forward to your thoughts thankyou

Answer:

Thank you for this question. To fully answer and understand what is happening, your daughter's dentist (or orthodontist) should have access to previous x-rays to see whether this problem with tooth development can be traced back.

In some cases following orthodontic treatment, the roots/tips of teeth may appear 'blunted'. Another potential cause of abnormal root development/root formation is trauma, although this is typically localized to one tooth. Finally, it is not uncommon that a child's 'dental age' (related to development of the teeth) does not match their chronological age in years and so development may simply be delayed. I hope this helps.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry