My baby has 2 very different skin tones.

06/03/2009

Question:

I have a nine month old daughter. Her trunk and extremities are very dark skin, almost black. Her face is about 3-4 shades lighter. When she sucks her thumb you can see the stark contrast. This has not changed in the past 9 months. Can this be an indication of some underlying disorder or syndrome? She has mild eczema on her face and on both hands bu no other known medical problems. I am very concerned about the difference in the skin tones on her face vs. the rest of her body.I have never seen this in any other African-American. Is this normal?

Answer:

If the severity of the contrast worries you, it is best to see your doctor. Sometimes when babies get eczema on the face, the eczema heals with hypopigmentation (or lighter skin tone). I am not sure if this is contributing to the difference in color between her body and her face.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center