Pain in Root Canal

06/05/2009

Question:

I had a root canal on tooth #13, 15 years ago with a crown put on it. Whenever my sinuses act up, I get a dull pain in it for a couple of days and then it goes away. I just went to the dentist for my semi- annual check and he checked it, along with all my other teeth and gave me a perfect report. I had a slight allergy attack last week, and now for the last 3 days have a horrible pain in that tooth when I tap it, and it throbbs so bad I can`t sleep. The pain is in the tooth and goes up into my sinuses and nose. There is no swelling of any kind or fever. I do have a lot of sinus drainage and pressure, but only on that side. I don`t have any insurance, so I don`t want to pay to go back to the dentist, for him to just send me to my doctor. Any ideas ??

Answer:

If you can no swelling or fever, then you do not currently have a dental emergency so if you don't want to pay for an evaluation right now you don't have to. Sinus infections, sinus inflammation, and allergies are all treated differently and I would defer to your physician regarding diagnosis and treatment of those conditions. Tooth pain can be caused by those conditions or you could have a tooth problem that is mimicking sinus/allergy issues. You could treat your sinus problem and see if the tooth pain resolves. Without an evaluation, I cannot diagnose your condition. 

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics