Mouth Diseases

Bump Inside Tongue

06/05/2009

Question:

I have a bump on the inside of my tongue you cannot see anything by looking at it, no discoloration or obvious bump. it is very sore when i touch it or try to eat. it is on the right side of my tongue close to the tip.

Answer:

The sensitivity you describe could be due to several different factors including inflammation (possibly caused by trauma or biting of the area) or the type of tissue within the bump. Also, you do not say how long you have had this "tongue bump". If it has persisted for more than 3-4 weeks or seems to be getting larger or more tender, then you should see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to discuss the possibility of biopsy. Ultimately, it will hopefully be possible to completely remove your sore lump and determine precisely what it is by subsequent microscopic examination of the specimen by a pathologist. 

Good luck! 

Tongue Lump
Lump IN the Tip of My Tongue?...

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration