Addiction and Substance Abuse

One night of heavy drinking...

06/08/2009

Question:

I drank heavily a few days ago with liquor and became quite drunk. (Important to note, I do not usually drink alcohol in large quantities. Maybe a few times a month at the most, like a half glass of wine. I used to drink a bit more but not in the last few years). I went home and fell asleep at 4:30 am. Some hours later (8:30 am) I woke up extremely nauseous and began vomiting. This went on for a couple hours. I vomited mainly the Gatorade I drank which I woke that I thought would help rehydrate me. I could not move without extreme stomach pain and nausea. Eventually around 2:00pm I felt better. I went to work but had bad stomach pains. Fast forward to 2 days later (today), and I`m still having bad pains in my upper abdomen, and not feeling myself. I was able to eat a half sandwich for the first time in 2 days. Any feedback as to what my be going on inside my body, would be so much appreciated. Thank you!

Answer:

I can only speak in general terms, but it sounds like alcohol intoxication (that's the nausea and vomiting) that may have led to stomach or pancreas damage (that's the severe pain). Sometimes the severe vomiting can actually cause tears in the stomach lining. The other thing that may be going on is pancreatitis, which is an inflammation of the pancreas, which can cause severe pain, nausea, and vomiting. My suggestion would be to make an appointment with a doctor for a more thorough evaluation.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Christina M Delos Reyes, MD Christina M Delos Reyes, MD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry