Life expectancy and complication reductions

06/15/2009

Question:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the age of 33. For the last 6 years have been on oral meds (amaryl, actos, metformin and januva). Recently I began taking humalog/insulin injections prior to meals. I have been staying active and working out and have been managing my weight. My blood pressure is in good shape and my cholestoral is managed through lipitor.

Are there any studies or books out there that will tell me what my life expectancy is reduced by if 1) my a1c, blood pressure and cholesterol are managed properly 2) if those items are not managed properly. i keep reading about the UKPDS tables but can`t seem to find one the actual table to review. Do you have any feedback on the 2 items listed above?

Answer:

I don't really have an easy answer to your questions.  What information is obtainable really need to be inferred from reading the scientific papers about the studies - life expectancy is usually not calculable from most current diabetes and blood pressure treatment studies.  Insurance companies may be able to draw these conclusions from their claims data but life expectancy is not a common measure in medical studies.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD