Mouth Diseases

Pea-sized bump on side of tongue

07/10/2009

Question:

Two days ago I thought I was getting a canker sore on my tongue but didn`t take a look at it til the evening. I was shocked to see that it was the size of a pea roughly, the same color as my tongue, pretty smooth. It doesn`t hurt, but it was just in the way when I talk etc. Please help!!!

Answer:

Based on your description, I would presume that when you state “size of a pea”, the lesion is 5 mm or greater. I would have this evaluated by your dentist. Chances are it is nothing more than a tissue (tongue) response to trauma like biting your tongue or chewing on a sharp object. The tongue is also highly vascular and some forms of trauma can cause a bump to form secondarily to a small bleed (hematoma).

Most likely the bump is a collection of granulation tissue or fibrous tissue (fibroma). Another possibility is a blocked minor salivary gland and the bump is the result of trauma and blockage.

Since this seems to alter your speech and the likelihood is great that you will continue and cause additional trauma, I would have it evaluated.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine