Allergies

Allergies or sinuses and canker sore

08/10/2009

Question:

A few days ago, either my allergies or sinuses started to act up. That same day I got an ear infection and my gums started to swell. I rinsed my mouth with Listerine, and I discovered 2 canker sores, one located on my gums and the other underneath my tongue. Is it possible for either allegies or sinus infection to trigger canker sores?

Answer:

The canker sores could have been from a viral infection most likely.  However, allergies can triggers nasal, eye and ear symptoms as well.  It is also important to recognized that up to 75% of patients with chronic rhinitis (inflammation of the nose) have a non-allergic component which can cause many of the same symptoms people with true allergies experience.  You should see a board certified qualified allergist for further evaluation if these problems recur and/or are persistent. 

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Jonathan   Bernstein, MD Jonathan Bernstein, MD