Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Tingling sensation in tooth

06/11/2009

Question:

I just noticed a few days ago that when I touch one of my wisdom teeth with my tongue, I feel a sharp tingling sensation. I maintain good oral hygiene and am quite careful about sugar etc. Could you please let me know what the problem might be? Are there any OTC remedies?

Answer:

Without knowing the specific area that is tingling, I can only venture a couple of guesses. The first is that the tingling radiated down into your tongue. If you compress the tissue, even lightly, on the inside of a wisdom tooth, it can cause a nerve in that area to flare up slightly.

The other option is that you have gums still over a portion of your wisdom tooth. If you have a minor inflammation in the area caused by food getting under the gums by the wisdom tooth, that can cause a minor tingling when pushed upon as well.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care Dentistry