Cold Sensitivity after RCT

06/13/2009

Question:

Hi I had a root canal on tooth #3 about 3 months ago and have a temporary crown on it. Three canals were filled in the procedure. Past few days I have had cold sensitivity on that tooth and also minor hot sensitivity. I do not have any pain while chewing (yet) but it does seem sensitive to tapping.

My dentist took an XRAY and did not observe any issues with #3 or with #4 which also has a root canal. The dentist said adjacent teeth look fine on the XRAY however the cold sensitivity persists on 3#. He did adjust the bite on the temp crown on # 3. Any thoughts on what could be going on. I need a bridge on #3,4 and 5, and I do not want to proceed until I figure out what is causing the discomfort.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Severe pain and sensitivity after root canal
Pain after a root canal
Why are my root canals hurting now?

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics