Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


When I was little, I took ampicillin or amox.



when i was small, i took amoxil or ampicillin my mother was not sure which one...according to her, i got hives from it and was told to tell everyone that i had a pcn allergy..now i am 28 years old, can i take pcn or should i just stay away from it?


You can be tested for residual penicillin sensitivity by skin tests. These may only be available at specific medical centers so you would have to find one of these. The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine is one place where this can be done.

For more information:

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Response by:

I Leonard Bernstein, MD I Leonard Bernstein, MD
Clinical Professor Emeritus
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati