Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Colorectal Diseases

Colon tests



This is a strange question, but I`ll ask anyway. My job involves a lot of exposure to UV sunlight and I went to the dermatologist to check out some funny looking patches on my hands and face (sunburn from high altitude sunlight, nothing really she said). After she did a great skin exam she asked me about my general health maintanence (I`m 50 and don`t really get regular preventative care) and she did a comprehensive physical exam, which I really appreciated. Haven`t had one in a long time. She told me that the hemmocolt(sp?) slide that she did indicated blood in the stool and that I needed a colonoscopy and told me to have my regular doctor schedule it. I said that I would, but when she asked me the doctors name, I had to admit that I didn`t have one, so she scheduled it before I left her office. My question is: should you be seen by a gastro specialist befoer getting a colonoscopy or is it o.k. for a dermatologist to order it? I`m going to get it anyway and really appreciate her ordering it; my wife got a good laugh out of the fact that I went to the dermatologist and got a colonoscopy ordered. She`s the best doctor that I have ever seen regardless of medical specialty. Thanks.


It is OK for your dermatologist to order this exam; my hat is off to her for being so very thorough and comprehensive in her evaluation and recommendations!

For more information:

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati