Pain Management

Pain on heels

07/07/2009

Question:

I am a 28 year old woman. Over the last couple of weeks i noticed that I have severe pian on my legs below the knees. The pain is espesially severe on my heels. I have difficulty walking and can`t do any work standing up for a very long time. I have the pain is all day long. My mom and grandmother suffers rom osteoarthritis. So now I am worried I could be suffering from it too. But for my mom and grandmother the diagonosis was made in thier early 50`s. The pain is so concerning to me because I have a 2 year old son and sometimes it`s very hard for me to take care of him. Pleae advice me on what could this be and what needs to be done.

Answer:

The most likely cause of your pain is a herniated disc at L5/S1. You may want to discuss this possibility with your doctor. An MRI of the lumbar spine is a good place to start investigating your clinical condition.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine