Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Repeated strep infections

06/24/2009

Question:

Am on 3rd strep throat infection in as many months. I took all the antibiotics,(different each time)changed toothbrush each time. The sore throats went away completely. Only 1 of those times was there a plausible explanation for the infection. Prior to this I have only had 1 strep infection in my entire life.(I am in my 20`s) Could I be a chronic carrier and not know it? will taking the tonsils out cut down on the number of infections?

Answer:

The recommendation from our Academy is to remove tonsils if you have 7 infections in a one year period. If your infection has resolved, you do not need your tonsils removed. If you have another infection I would recommend a throat culture and then a targeted treatment of antibiotics based on the culture for 4 weeks. Again, 7 infections in one year, 5 a year over two years and three a year over three years is the trigger for surgery.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center