Lung Cancer

2 tiny lung nodules

06/30/2009

Question:

I`ve been experiencing facial flushing symptoms for the past 2 years. My docotor recommended a CT scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvic. She wanted to rule out carcinoid tumors. What they found were 2 tiny peripheral nodular densities abutting the posterior pleural surface of the left lower lobe. Each of these measures about 4 and 2 mm in size respectively. The lungs are otherwise clear. I am a 34 white female, had the occasional cigarette in my late teens. Should I be worried? Thanks

Answer:

Any nodule in the lung is worrisome for malignancy. However, given that you are only 34 and occasionally smoked, your risk for lung cancer is very low. Also, the nodules are very small (4 and 2mm). Sometimes these may represent an infection that may disappear on the follow up scans. Not sure if they found any evidence of carcinoid in any other CT from abdomen or pelvis or if the blood test was suggestive of carcinoid.

At this time the reasonable option for you is to obtain a repeat CT of chest in 3-6 months to see if these nodules change in size, shape or character. An appointment with a pulmonologist would also be a good idea to have a thorough review of your CT.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Shaheen  Islam, MD, MPH Shaheen Islam, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep
Hematology