Children's Health

My health

07/02/2009

Question:

Im a 16 year old Cheerleader suffering from HIGH weight loss, loss of hair, skin disscoloration, and heart problems. I have had blood test done the docter says i have a low white blood count but not really bad sign. i have been tested for a few other things but cannot figure out whats wrong. I eat pretty much 24/7 includign all the meat i can get. i had brown spots on my hand that occured wthin a 4 hour time period that are now starting on my other hand. does any of this sound familiar??

Answer:

Thank you very much for the question. Certainly, it is difficult to make any diagnosis without interviewing a and examining the patient. Your symptoms of weight loss, hair loss and heart problems could be caused by any number of conditions. Some disorders that come to mind include: an overactive thyroid, chronic infection, gastrointestinal allergy, and underactive adrenal gland, to name just a few. I recommend you schedule an appointment with your physician to share your concerns about these signs and symptoms and possibly get a referral to a sub-specialist who could provide further assistance with diagnosing your condition.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Stephen E Wilson, MD, MSc Stephen E Wilson, MD, MSc
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine