Mouth Diseases

Oral concerns

06/30/2009

Question:

After i brush my teeth the walls of my mouth start to peel,and all of sudden i have spots on my tongue that may bleed after i brush my tongue what do u think is wrong and wat do u suggest?

Answer:

Your description sounds like something that has been reported as toothpaste- (or dentifrice-) related slough. Essentially, it is a mild form of chemical injury usually related to the detergents added into modern toothpastes to help them fight tartar (calculus). After use of such toothpastes (or in some cases, mouthwash solutions), it leads to something like a chemical "peel" of the skin (mucosa) inside the mouth and can make your tongue sensitive as you indicate.

I recommend you look for the mildest form of toothpaste you can find. No whiteners, no sensitivity-fighters, no tartar-controllers. You might even consider plain baking soda on your toothbrush (an old-style aid to brushing). Should your problems continue, see your dentist. Good luck!

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology