Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Low Back Pain with WBC`s in Urine (8yr)

My daughter (8 yrs) has had for the 3rd time in 8 months low back pain accompained with malaise and WBC`s in urine. The 1st and 2nd time she felt better after 4-5 days of an antibiotic. This time the pain is staying after 7 days of an antibiotic. Each culture showed no growth. We saw a CNP at urology today and her ultasound showed no kidney stones with a possibly larger size kidney with some fluid in it. The CNP thought the back pain was muscle, but it has occured 3 times in 8 mos. Today her CBC showed WBC`s again. We are awaiting a KUB result. What do you think?

If the sonogram was relatively normal, and the cultures were negative, then most probably the low back pain is unlikely to be related to the kidney. There are a few conditions that can cause WBCs to appear in the urine without infection, and she may need further testing. I would speak with your pediatrician about this aspect.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology