Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Acquired von Willebrand Person

06/23/2009

Question:

Hello, I just wanted to ask a couple more questions reguarding my rare conditions. I had mentioned before that I am getting chronic infections and other problems that I have not mentioned. So, would you think my infections would be related to my IgG Lambda MGUS, or the Acquired von willebrand or both. I also received IVIG to get me through a surgery 2 years ago, but had some complications from the high doses. Is there any other options for me to help my symptoms? Thanks Again.

Answer:

I would not attribute your problems with the chronic infections to the monoclonal protein or the acquired vWD. Typically patients with these conditions are not prone to infections. 

I would discuss these issues again with your family physician or whoever sees you most often to continue to try and find a reason for the increased number of infections. In the future, it may be beneficial to see either an immunologist or infectious disease specialist if you have not done so already.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine