Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Should I see pulmonary doctor?



I am female, never smoked, exercise daily, tall, thin and very healthy except for Meniere`s Disease which is controlled. I have been coughing constantly for 3 months. Worse at night. I am exhausted. Heat and humididty starting to get to me. For the past month I have have had more and more wheezing with coughing attacks. I have resisted going to Dr. thinking I had developed an allergy? I finally went this week due to wheezing. He said I had wheezing through both lungs. He put me on Advair and a nasal spray and said to return if not better. He thinks I have RAD from an undiagnosed sinus infection. Do you think this is reasonable approach or should I see a pulmonary doctor?


You have doctor diagnosed asthma. Your current treatment is correct, but you probably should rule out allergic factors and get more complete pulmonary function tests. Therefore I recommend an allergy/clinical immunology consultation.

For more information:

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Response by:

I Leonard Bernstein, MD I Leonard Bernstein, MD
Clinical Professor Emeritus
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati