Pain Management

Pain/numbness in knee with dashboard injury

07/07/2009

Question:

6 months ago, I was in a car accident and the inside of the left knee hit the steering column. I had immediate pain. In the emergency room, they didn`t see anything on the x-rays. But after having an MRI (requested by my regular doctor), they found a very deep bone contusion. I was given a brace and an order for limited use. After several weeks, I started physical therapy. I have most of my mobility back but, still have pain. It is tender to the touch and also numb in one place. This is mostly on the medial side of the knee. There is some pain on the front of the knee below the kneecap and inside the joint. I can relieve it somewhat by not extending the knee when I walk and, the cortisone shots weren`t much help. Any ideas?

Answer:

From your description, it does not sound like you have a structural injury to the knee joint itself. You may want to discuss either TENS unit or Anodyne therapy at the site of the injury with your doctor, to see if that would help to relieve the pain.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia