Athletic Training

Foot pain

06/30/2009

Question:

I am training for a 56km marathon, running approximately 45-50km per week, but i seem to have a lot of pain in my foot arches, as well as my big toes going numb after about 4km. Can you give me some advice please.

Answer:

Thanks for your question! My first thought is shoe wear. Changing your shoes as often as every 250 miles is really important. The arch pain could be coming from not enough arch support in your shoes. Most running stores have workers trained to look at gait patterns and foot alignment and they can help ensure you are in the proper shoe for your foot type.

The toe numbness is a little concerning: it could be because of shoe tightness or because of running form. If this continues, you should follow up with a sports medicine physician, preferably one that deals regularly with runners. Thanks for using NetWellness!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Courtney D Siegel, MEd, ATC Courtney D Siegel, MEd, ATC
Assistant Athletic Trainer
Instructor of Athletic Training