Myasthenia Gravis

Steroids

07/20/2009

Question:

My daughter has MG and is currently taking mestinon and progesterone, she has been very weak recently and fearful. She is also hydrocephalic. Can I expect her to regain strength while on the steroids? She`s now wearing depends.

Answer:

I am hoping you meant prednisone instead of progesterone. Progesterone is a female hormone, where prednisone is a steroid used to immunosuppress the immune system in myasthenia gravis. About 2/3 of patients with diagnosed autoimmune myasthenia gravis respond very well to steroids for symptomatic treatment of weakness. Response might depend on the dosage but most people show effect within 2-3 weeks of starting higher dosage prednisone. The urine incontinence is not a usual myasthenia symptom and sounds like it may be more related to the hydrocephalus. She sounds like someone who should be followed regularly and closely because she has two unusual conditions.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

Robert W Neel, IV, MD Robert W Neel, IV, MD