Head and Neck Cancer

Lumps Behind Right Ear

06/30/2009

Question:

A week ago I noticed these 5 or 6 small lumps on the back on my head, right behind my right ear. They reminded in size to ant bites, but no redness or hurting, unless I touch them. It didn`t worry me untill today I noticed they have gotten bigger. Now they feel like they are turning into one big one. You can`t move them around. They feel hard but not like solid. And not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I have also noticed over the past week or two when I cough sometimes, I get this sensation of needles poking me. Starting to make me worry. What you think about it and what I may need to do?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. Any neck mass present for more than 2 weeks is considered abnormal and should be evaluated. You need a good head and neck evaluation, possibly a scan, and maybe even a biopsy. Make sure you see your physician.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Cheryl  Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN Cheryl Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN
Clinical Nurse Specialist and Instructor of
Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology 
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing