Hemochromatosis

Should I re-test my iron levels?

06/29/2009

Question:

I had my iron levels tested 5 months after I recieved partial hysterectomy. My OBGYN was concerned that I was still anemic, but my iron levels came back very high, so I went to my PCP and had another panel done and everything was normal. I haven`t had any testing done since January of this year. I stopped taking my iron at that time as well. Just recently I started taking a multiple vitamin with the pill Alli to lose weight and I have had my symptoms come back again. Fatigue, weakness, etc.

Answer:

Iron levels tend to vary widely with degress of inflammation in the body that may reflect the fact that you were healing following surgery. The most important thing to do is to follow up with your primary care doctor since you have symptoms. This probably doesn't have anything to do with your iron but might have something to do with the medications that you take.

Go to the Hemochromatosis health topic, where you can:

Mark   Wurster, MD Mark Wurster, MD
Former Clinical Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine