Pain after root canal

07/02/2009

Question:

I had a root canal done on the 2nd to the last tooth on the bottom right. I have a crown on the tooth. After a couple of month I was still having pain, so I went to see a doctor that specializies in root canals to get a 2nd opinion and they said everything looks fine. I still have perodic pain and it hurts when I put pressure on the side of the tooth. It has been more than a year and I have just adjusted to the perodic pain. Recently my dentist made me a night guard, however when I wear it the pressure make my tooth hurt. I thought when you had a root canal that you would not have anymore pain. Could it be part of the root is still there? Is it possible the crown is too tight? I do not want to loose the tooth. Any suggestions I can discuss with my dentist?

Answer:

Your roots are still in your mouth because the only part that is removed during a root canal is the nerves/blood vessels inside the roots of your teeth. I cannot comment on the fit of your crown since I have not seen you.

Since your postoperative exams were only a few months after your treatment, I would recommend a reevaluation by your endodontist. It is common to have some symptoms a few months after treatment but if a year has gone by and you are still having problems, they would want to reevaluate the area. There is no way for me to give specifics without conducting an examination myself. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics