Urinary Disorders

Bed Wetting

07/06/2009

Question:

I occasionally (once every three month or so) dream of being urinating when I would wake up dry and be able to urinate in the bathroom. However, I once a year or so do wet the bed half way ususally before I wake up. This has been happening for the last five years only. To be exact, I had 4 half way episodes of bed wetting in the last five years. Today, I wet the bed completely and without the typical dream of urination. I am a 39 year old male, overweight, not a drinker. I did wet the bed when I was young and was not cured completely till I was 15.

I don`t have nightmares, don`t snore and I sleep well. I have noticed that I frequently urinate many times during the day if my feet for some reason get very cold and noticed that my bed wetting (actual & dreams) happens when I get cold during sleep, especially when the AC is on. I don`t have the issue in the winter when the heat is on. I usually don`t cover myself when sleeping. I must have my feet uncovered to be a sleep.

Is it possible I am getting cold while asleep through my feet which causes the urgency to urinate the same way it happens sometime during the day?

Please help.

Answer:

I am not really sure what is causing these symptoms. It would be important to be examined by your physician for a more complete history and physical examination and to a urine check.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology