Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Veneers

07/02/2009

Question:

I had extensive dental work to achieve a beautiful smile.I had vaneers in front and crowns in back.The vaneers kept coming out. Now my dentist is replacing some of the vaneers with crowns, at no cost to me. Why didn`t the vaneers hold? I tried to be careful after first one came out.(was never instructed how to care for them. My latest problem is now numbness.T have temp crowns on top front teeth. I have some pain and numbness in my right nostral and front right teeth.Is this the norm? (work done over 2 weeks ago) My dentist is on vacation. Do I have cause to worry?

Answer:

Retention of veneers depends on the way a person's teeth come together, history of large fillings in the teeth, and moisture contamination during bonding. Certainly crowning the teeth at no cost to you is a good alternative for you. The pain that you are describing is not usual. Examination by another dentist (if your dentist is still on vacation) is recommended if the pain persists.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry