Gynecology

Urine problems

07/21/2009

Question:

I need help. I have really foul smelling urine along with burning, urgency to go, lower abdominal pain, and pain with intercourse. This has been going on for 4yrs on and off. I have been with the same guy for 3 of those yrs and no one before him. I have been to the doctor numerous times he has done std tests everytime I`m in as well as urine test, and they both come back clean. This last time he also did a pelvic exam and there`s definetly something wrong with my uterus as it`s very tender. But because I don`t have insurance he puts me on antibiotics (doxycyline, Zirythromax, ect.) and says if that doesn`t work then you need an ultrasound which is $300 - $400, which I can`t really afford right now. So I thought I would see if anyone had any ideas. Should I be worried?? Oh and also I drink lots of water and eat healthy.

Answer:

There is no way to tell what is going on, but considering the pain you have been having has been present for 4 years, you should get it fully evaluated. I don't know if the ultrasound is going to tell the entire story. but it is a start. You might have a bladder condition that could be the cause of your pain. You should see a urologist or urogynecologist who may be able to help you by taking a detailed history.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education