Athletic Training

Torn cartilage

07/01/2009

Question:

it has been confirmed by mri scan i have torn cartlidge and degenerative disease in my knee. this was around 11 months ago. It is very painful more so at night and disturbs my sleep constantly.it is difficult to get up from sitting position and climbing and decending stairs. The consultant told me to take pain killers and get a walking stick.I am 50 years old i dont walk I waddle.

Answer:

Thank you for your question. It sounds as though you have been dealing with a very painful knee going on one year now. You don't mention if you have tried any alternative therapies such as physical therapy or if there was any discussion of a joint replacement because of the degenerative changes. Changes in your walking pattern typically occur secondary to pain, and motion and strength of the surrounding knee and its musculature tend to decline as the symptoms continue.

I would recommend another visit to either your previous consultant or a visit to another orthopedic surgeon who can review your MRI and evaluate your symptoms to see if there are any other options for you to help alleviate your symptoms. Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences