Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Home treatment for pulpitis?

07/06/2009

Question:

I presently have mouth pain (dull, not acute) from what has previously been described to me as pulpitis. I`ve had it several times before; it`s often triggered by biting or chewing something hard, like crusty bread. Sometimes the pain has gradually gone away by itself, and sometimes I`ve had to see an endodontist for a root canal.

This time the pain is receding slowly, if at all. Of course I would like to avoid going back to the endodontist, wonderful though she is. So other than not eating crunchy food, and patience, are there things I can do at home to facilitate recovery? If you have ideas, I`m very motivated to follow them! Thanks.

Answer:

There is no home care to heal or prevent the breakdown of the blood vessels or nerves inside your tooth. A visit to the dentist/endododontist could determine if there are any dental problems that can be fixed to prevent needing a root canal.

I would recommend an evaluation. It is important to note that tooth pain will eventually disappear regardless but if there is a problem it will eventually appear again.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics