High Blood Pressure

Blood pressure

08/14/2009

Question:

I was lying in bed and all of a sudden got dizzy. So I checked my blood pressure and it was 80/50. I am on two medications for my blood pressure because it was to high. I drink at least 3 litres of water a day. I have taken it a few other times and it is around the same. Could my blood pressure get that low just because I am lying down and watching tv? What else could cause my blood pressure to be so low?

Answer:

It is  possible that this episode of low blood pressure was an isolated incident, maybe due to dehydration, fever, or vasodilatation (e.g. because of a hot bath).  Make sure that you check your blood pressure again the day.

A blood pressure of 80/50 is indeed low.  If this low blood pressure persists, you may not need any blood pressure medication.  You should ask your doctor if you can stop your medications, and have your blood pressure rechecked.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Hypertension Section