Colorectal Diseases

Green stool

08/27/2009

Question:

The last two days I`ve felt constipated and have strained at times to have a bowl movement, when I do, the stool is hard, dark green, and there is very little of it. In the last few months I`ve had a problem with my gallbladder which has resulted in nausea & diaherria, and even over the last two days my stool was of a normal coloring, but this morning I noticed the color change and I couldn`t even tell until I wiped myself that it was green. Is this something possibly related to my gallbladder issues or possibly just something random?

Answer:

Hard to say if it is related to your gallbladder. The most common cause of small hard dry stools is lack of fiber and fluid in the diet. Try increasing both, and if you do not notice a change within a week or so, please talk to your doctor about evaluation of your colon for another problem.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division