Carbocaine and bleeding

07/06/2009

Question:

iam having a second lower molar extracted,, i use carbocaine (becaude of fast heartrate with others) my question is bleeding.. is carbocaine ok to use for an extraction? iam worried about bleeding?

iam on no daily meds/////// just penicilline and will be taking a valume or xanax at that time

no medical issused except mitral valve prolapse and premature ventrical contractions

Answer:

For a lower jaw tooth, there is no increase in bleeding when using mepivicaine (Carbocaine). In the upper jaw, local anesthetic is put right next to the tooth, which is different in the lower jaw where a nerve block is used in the back of the mouth. When the medication is placed next to the tooth, the addition of blood vessel constricting medication does lessen local bleeding. Regardless, for single tooth extraction, this should not be a concern.