Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Should I use bridges?

07/06/2009

Question:

I am a 27 year old, female, of South Asian origin, and I would like to get your suggestions regarding an assessment made by a private dental clinic.

Since the past 14 years, I’ve lost 7 teeth: Right upper: 1 premolar and 1 molar Right lower: 2 molars Left upper: 2 molars Left lower: 1 premolar

Since my future profession will involve much interaction with people, the dentists were of the opinion that this should be addressed. The clinic recommends that I should undertake 4 root canals on all jaws, and bridge the gaps, so that I can chew properly, and the existing teeth will not have much stress. From what I understand, bridging will involve capping the selected existing teeth and providing a support for the attached teeth.

However, I have my reservations: I have always been calcium deficient, and my teeth are exceptionally weak. I also have a weak bone structure. In my familial history, I share the same teeth characteristics as that of my mother.

Therefore, is it feasible to do this process of root canal and bridging, especially given that my teeth are weak? I`ll be very grateful for your suggestions.

Answer:

A clinical evaluation is needed. Other treatment options should also be discussed with your dental provider.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry