Athletic Training

Right ankle swollen

07/06/2009

Question:

Not last nite but the nite before I was outside in my driveway working on my car. I dont remember getting getting bit and i would for sure know if i sprung it or something. I`ve iced it and elevated all nite. Woke up Still swollen and itches. What most sounds like what happened? Should I worry?

Answer:

Thank you for your question. You're right in that you would most probably remember that you hurt your ankle leading to a swollen joint. That you don't remember anything, and it was swollen and itchy the next day even after icing, is something you should be monitoring.

If the swelling and itchiness continues, I would follow up with your local health care provider for evaluation as to the source of your symptoms and the initiation of treatment if warranted. You didn't mention if there was a bite mark present, but you could have underlying infection or allergic response, which warrants attention. Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences