Kidney Diseases

One Kidney Small Another Big w/ Duplex Moiety

07/14/2009

Question:

Dear Sir, My daughter aged 10 years was diagnoised with right kidney small in size (5.4X2.4 cm) compared to left kidney which is bigger in size(11 X 5.1 cm). Relative function observed as 85% of left one and 15% of the right one. Duplex moiety noted in left kidney. Since last two years no urine infection or high blood pressure was noted and no other pain, etc. Please advise and if possible we will travel to any place that can cure our daughter`s ailment.

Best Regards

Answer:

Thank you for your question. There is a significant difference in kidney size in your daughter. There are several unanswered issues that make it difficult to make a recommendation without more information. First, why was a kidney study performed; did she have a urinary tract infection? If so, did she have a fever or abdominal or flank pain? Has she had previous urinary infections with fever? Did the kidney study demonstrate hydronephrosis? Did she have any other tests, such as a voiding cystourethrogram? What is the status of her ailment at present? I would be happy to correspond with you by e-mail to provide a more definitive opinion.

Go to the Kidney Diseases health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology