Heart palpitations at night

07/09/2009

Question:

I am a 50 year old male with type 2 diabetes. My diabetes is under control but I suffer from depression and often expirience reflux. Recently i have had struggle sleeping because of issues with my heart. This only occures at night-time, during the day the palpitations are not as bad. At night-time my heart rate increases, making it difficult to sleep. I take cordizem which works during the day but has no effect at night. I hope you can help me. Please let me know if you need more information.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about diabetes but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your heart, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the symptoms you are experiencing or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD