Kidney Diseases

Protein in Urine and High Blood Pressure

07/16/2009

Question:

My GFR is listed as >60. (Do I need an actual number?) I am a female, age 56. And I have cloudy urine sometimes with bubbles. I urinate a LOT at night, a dark color. I wake up several times. Is that good or bad? I also have a Protein Ur 24hr abnormal test of <0.16 gm/24 hr. Does any of this mean kidney disease?

My doctor will not explain anything to me. I even had to BEG for my test results. And I have follow up urine tests next week for my 24 hour urine. Does a GFR of >60 and a Protein Ur 24hr abnormal test of <0.16 gm/24 hr in my urine sound like the beginnings of kidney disease? I also have swollen ankles and high blood pressure, 156/92, and the doctor does nothing to treat this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

Your results do not necessarily mean that you have kidney disease.  GFR >60 (which is a standard way of reporting) simply means that you have either no kidney disease, or very mild disease.  The protein result of <0.16 gm/24 hr, if you have written it correctly, is actually normal -- "<" means "less than," and less than 0.16 gm per 24 hrs is a normal result. 

On the other hand, a cloudy urine may indicate infection, bubbles in the urine sometimes does mean protein, and swollen ankles may be a sign of either heart or kidney problems (though not necessarily).  Also, if your blood pressure is consistently in the range of 150/90, it should be treated.  You should feel free to change doctors or to visit another doctor for a second opinion if you think that your doctor is not giving you enough information, because you are making very good observations and asking excellent questions that deserve thoughtful answers. 

Go to the Kidney Diseases health topic, where you can:

Mildred   Lam, MD Mildred Lam, MD