Mouth Diseases

Bump on roof of my mouth

07/14/2009

Question:

IT WAS WHITE SMALL BUMP WITH PUSS IN IT .SO I TOUCH IT THEN I PUT PRESSURE ON IT IT BUST. THEN ROOF OF MY MOUTH TURN DARK PURPLE.

Answer:

Dear Concerned,
You need to have this problem evaluated by a dentist, the sooner the better. If what you say is pus, then in all likelihood you have an infection, either in the tooth or in the surrounding tissue or both.

Without actually seeing this lesion, it seems that you have a parulis or a drainage tract from the source of infection into the mouth in order to allow the pus to drain out. If this is not pus, then you may have a blocked salivary gland that is rupturing and draining, but based on the fact that you state it is pus (white-yellow discharge) and the resultant tissues appear purple after rupturing, leads me to believe you have an infection that needs immediate attention.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine