Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Iron deficiency anemia

07/14/2009

Question:

I am 69, have recently found out that my blood count was 9 with an iron count of 2. I was told my iron level was depleted, and should be 10 to 300, but that is a large stretch. I have had a colonosopy, endosocoy, and a camera capsule test. None of these test have showed a blood loss on any kind. The gastrointerologist in my area performed all of these. What is next if none of these tests have showed any bleeding or forms of cancer?

Answer:

It is hard to know what is specifically going on with you based on what you tell me. I am not sure exactly what the tests are that the numbers are referring to. It is also difficult to say very much with only labs and no other clinical information. That being said, it sounds like iron deficiency may be the problem. Given your age, your doctor is trying to find the source of the bleeding, which I agree is important, assuming that you are iron deficient.

I would encourage you to continue to speak to your physician as to what the potential sources of blood loss are, and what tests he or she feels should be done next.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine