Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Preventing Root Canals

07/14/2009

Question:

At age almost 70, I am fortunate to have my original teeth. However, I have now had five root canals, and see the possibility of others looming on the horizon. Among my concerns are that they are (very) expensive, not within my ordinary budget.

So my question has to do with prevention. What can I do to minimize the possibility of future root canals, beyond the usual brushing, flossing, and regular visits to the dentist and periodontist? Are there any special diets, avoidance of certain foods (e.g., crunchy foods), chewing procedures, or other maintenance or other things I can do on my own? I`m very motivated to follow any guidance you might give me. Thanks!

Answer:

I need to know the reason why you have had so many root canals done lately. Dental carries? Decay? Wear? Periodontal diseases? If is dental carries or decay a diet low on sugar will help to prevent the developmen of cavities. Other things that can prevent problems include: daily topical fluoride applications or mouth washes that your dentist or hygienist can prescribe for you, and use of electric tooth brushes at list once a day. Check the brushing techniques that you are using with you dentist as it may need to be reevaluated.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine