Lung diseases

Calcified node

08/06/2009

Question:

Can anything be done to remedy a large calcified node that is irritating the Brochial tube and pressing on it? For 8 months, my husband has had severe coughing with blood & mucus coughed up as a result.

Answer:

In general, symptomatic treatment is the first line of therapy and treatment of the underlying cause of the calcified lymph node if it remains an active disease. Overtime, however, the calcified lymph node may sometimes erode through the wall of the bronchial tube, and either partially obstruct the airway or get coughed out. In some situations, a bronchoscopy to evaluate the airway to determine if any portion of the node has eroded into the airway or to see if the stone/calcium can be removed. In very rare circumstances, surgery to remove the enlarged/calcified lymph node is considered. With the presence of blood and mucous, I would suggest physician evaluation to further discuss.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Jennifer  McCallister, MD Jennifer McCallister, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep