Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Right maxillary sinus retention cyst

08/11/2009

Question:

I have been having problems with headache, facial numbness, teeth pain, ear pain and sore throat. Ear pain and sore throat is only in the morning when I wake up and the facial numbness is not all the time. I recently had a non-contrast mri done. the results were that i have a moderately prominent right maxillary sinus retention cyst and smaller cyst or mucosal thickening localized over the anterior of the medial floor of the left maxillary sinus. Other sinuses and mastoids appear symmetrically unremarkable with no fluid collections. Should I be concerned? How well does an mri tell the difference between just a cyst and something more ominous? Thank You

Answer:

Rarely does a retention cyst cause the symptoms you are describing. Although an MRI is a good study, a contrasted study is better to identify ominous lesions and a CT is better to evaluate the sinuses. It is unclear by your description if the cyst is involved on the same side as your complaints. A thorough evaluation by an ENT physician may help tease out these issues.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center